Saturday, July 30, 2011

A Village of Storks and Apple Groves

Hallo! from Deutschland:

Orientation starts tomorrow after church, but new and returning staff have been arriving the last couple days.  It has been great to see friends from TeachBeyond orientation. Even though it is not official training yet, I am learning a lot through talking to staff and observing things.  My first times at the stores and walking have been funny. :)  Everything takes longer, but it is interesting.  Since I am jet-lagged, I feel like I am walking in a dream.  I can pick up on some German, which is neat. 

Because English camps are still going on in the other dorms, we are all living in Stork dorm in Holzen, Germany, until next week when we are placed in our dorms.  This town is smaller than Kandern and is known for its rehab for storks --- the birds.  They are everywhere with large nests in this town.  Apple groves are over the hills.

It has been good to have a few transition days to acclimate because it is similar to the States in some ways, but in most ways it is very different.  More to come, Michelle