Thursday, February 7, 2013

What Does it Take?


What Does It Take?         
       
A college friend recently wrote me, asking about what tools I have found helpful in working with [cross-cultural] students here.  As I brainstormed an answer, I discovered how much I had grown over the last four semesters since my beginning to work in Maug boys' dorm.  Ironically, it is not about what I brought into the job; rather, what has made the difference in my "effectiveness" has been what God has grown and is growing in me over these years in Germany

Teachability / Humility / Not trying too hard / Listening / Vulnerability / Servanthood / Being a learner / Availability / Assuming nothing / Not grouping people / Understanding gradual growth and human nature / Adaptability / Confrontation as a mirror to oneself and an avenue of growth / Asking forgiveness and admitting when I am wrong / Not lying and acting like I have it all together / Having people who call me out when necessary / Asking questions but also sharing one oneself / Giving grace but not oozy / Serving and working alongside / Seeking to build up and get to know co-workers / Learn to be still and just read 

Training for Christian Ministry is fantastic.  I am grateful for my experiences before here; yet, I realize that if I had gone into a girls' dorm or some other position that was "better suited for me" I would have missed out on the extensive growth and brokenness that has brought forth the greatest change in me.
Yes, I would have rather been in my "element," but I would not trade Maug for anything.
Yes, I have had to grieve and reorient to why I am here, but God knew that without "exercising weak muscles," as Anna, the girl I mentor, told me, "you wouldn't become a well-rounded person."  Anna is learning that she "would rather be sorry than safe."  This made me think.  I afraid to admit it, but I agree.  Without risk and getting out of comfortable areas, we will miss out on some good, hard growth and relationships that will not come with a shield of protection and anxious preparation.

"God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble."