Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Grieving the Loss & Reorienting for the End


[In the past many you've expressed interest in being involved in praying for me and the ministry here.  I haven't been good at sending prayer updates, but I am working on getting better at this. :)  If you are interested in being involved in my team of prayer partners, please email me and let me know so I can keep you posted: mwaters@teachbeyond.org.]

Dear prayer partners,


Myself and the other four ResLife staff here at Maugenhard have experienced a great deal of joy from having all our guys back in the dorm again after Spring Break.  Yet, time does not seem to be patient with us; it merely goes on as usual, and we have to choose to step aside to pray and breath.  Over the last weeks I've experienced more blessings and joys than I can count.  But over the last week in particular my heart has been heavy.  One reason for this is because of the death of one of my mentors/friends here and all the loss that comes from that for me and the community:
  • Loss. Last night BFA held a memorial service for Mari Ellen, a dear 52-year-old single woman, who poured her life into students and staff alike.  She died on Easter due to a post-surgery complication.  I feel the loss of her mentorship and friendship; it comes in waves.  I found out while I was in Israel.  In recent years, she has been a counselor at BFA.  Walking away from meaningful, celebratory and sad memorial last night, one of my guys, in disbelief, remarked: "Who counsels people when the counselor dies?"  Another admitted that he was "angry that God took her the way he did." She was healthy and recovering from the surgery and days later died of an embolism.  These things do not make sense.  But mainly they are sad for us left on earth for now.  It was good to be able to be there with the guys as they grieve and process this unexpected death.  I am grateful for those tender moments of honesty.
[Photo from Michele Phoenix/BFA]
    • Please pray for all those who are grieving the loss of her friendship, counsel, wisdom and love. Pray that they will run to Jesus and not to other things to comfort them in the midst of the waves of loss now and ongoing.  Also, please pray that God will raise up another counselor, mentor and friend for me and so many others who are in this community and beyond.
  • Purposeful.  It is easy to go through the next 6 weeks to make it through the countless end of the year activities.  However, we are trying to discern what is the core message that the guys need to hear and experience before they leave Maugenhard.  It is important that we communicate and seek out opportunities to encourage students to engage with life and think, rather than slide on through.  It seems like a weighty task, when this may be the last time we see some of these guys.  There is so much swimming around in my head that I am trying to process from life, conversations and experience. It is rich but causes me to have to seek and rely on God's spirit even more.

- Please pray that God will open up countless opportunities to talk to and listen to the guys about things that matter.  Also, please pray for the preparation, tenderness, and humility of our spirits as we  respond to the Holy Spirit's lead.  May we not be ruled by fear or flesh but faith.  May fear of rejection or the guys not liking me never keep me from engaging with even the hard guys. Please pray that  God will equip me to love the guys as they need to be loved through the person God made me to be without trying to be someone else.


Thank you for your love and prayer!  It is invaluable to know you are involved with me.

How are you?  How can I pray for you?
Peace be with you,
Michelle